VOICE. CHANGE. HOPE. Alliance
In December of 2014, a grandmother, who lost her grandson to a heroin overdose, called the Berrien County Sheriff to ask for his help to educate our community about opiate addiction. She was interested in not only creating awareness of the ever-increasing problem of heroin addiction, but also in bringing more resources to this community and reducing the stigma families experience when a loved one becomes addicted. By May 2015, a collaboration of passionately-concerned individuals had formed. They include parents of addicts, youth, a minister, the clinical director of a local substance abuse treatment facility; and representatives of the Berrien County Health Department, the Berrien County Sheriff's Department, the Michigan State Police, Lakeland Regional Health System and the Southwest Michigan Chapter of Families Against Narcotics. The diversity of these individuals is reflected in the name chosen for this alliance.
MISSION: A community alliance to eliminate prescription drug abuse and heroin addiction from families of Southwest Michigan
VISION: Individuals will receive support to achieve a healthy recovery and no longer suffer the stigma of addiction.
Meeting info: 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month from 2:30-4:30pm at the Berrien County Health Department
1. Reduce the occurrence of prescription drug abuse among Southwest Michigan families.
2. Reduce the occurrence of fatal opioid overdoses among Southwest Michigan families.
3. Increase resources in our community that support an individual's recovery from substance addiction.
4. Remove the stigma that individuals face when dealing with addiction issues. Guide to Provider Services available.
Drug Collection box locations in your county:
- Berrien County Sheriff's Department
- Berrien Springs-Oronoko Township Police Department
- Buchanan City Police Department
- Chikaming Township Police Department
- Coloma Charter Township Police Department
- Lakeland Community Hospital Pharmacy, Niles
- Lakeland Community Hospital Pharmacy, St. Joseph
- Lakeland Pharmacy Shoppe, St. Joseph
- New Buffalo Police Department
- Niles Law Enforcement Complex
- Walgreens, St. Joseph
- Walgreens, Niles
- Watervliet City Police Department
County Prevention Initiatives and Accomplishments- Prescription Drug and Heroin Abuse Awareness Community Conference 2015; "Dr. Dealer" Prescription Drug Prescribing Awareness Conference for Physicians 2016; "Drugs 101: What Every Parent Should Know" Workshops; Community Services Roundtable;
Contact Information Alliance Co-Chair, Kerri Teachout at email@example.com, 269-927-5668
Alliance Co-Chair, Lieutenant Melinda Logan at Loganm4@michigan.gov, 269-921-5741